Free and Low Cost Camp Sites around Oberon
- Oberon Reef Reserve Free Camping Area. Reef Reserve is a free camping area with no booking required. Approx 2klm from Oberon township with approx. 20 picturesque bush camping sites with designated fire rings, toilets, BBQ and undercover picnic tables. Fishing in Lake Oberon is open all year round which is well stocked with trout. Other species include Murray Cod, Yellow Belly and Redfin. The boat ramp is for canoes, kayaks and small fishing boats with electric motors only. Life Jackets must be worn at all times and there is no swimming allowed in Lake Oberon.
- Flat Rock Reserve, Mutton Falls Road, O’Connell. A large, grassed area set on the Fish River, a short drive from the village of O’Connell. Toilets, BBQ & Picnic facilities.
- Black Springs Rest Area – Black Springs. Black Springs Rest Area is a picnicker’s paradise in the centre of a large pine plantation that was first established in the early 1900s. The site is in Vulcan State Forest, about a 30 minute drive from Oberon. For the dedicated fossicker, opportunities exist nearby at Sapphire Bend, an area set aside to allow fossicking for gems without a permit. The nearby streams are popular fishing sites that have been known to provide the foundation for many a fishing story! (Please note that NSW fishing rules and regulations apply to all waterways in the region).
- Millionth Acre campground, at the junction of Jenolan Caves Road and Duckmaloi Road
Lying within the Hampton State Forest, this site has toilets, picnic facilities, interpretative material and short walks radiating from the picnic area. Established in 1970 to commemorate the millionth acre of radiata pine to be planted in Australia.
- Chifley Dam – Ben Chifley Dam. More information here Chifley Dam Primitive Camping Area – Bathurst | VisitNSW.com
- Lake Lyell Recreation Park. More information here Lake Lyell Recreation Park – Lithgow | VisitNSW.com
- The Sink – Abercrombie River National Park. More information here Abercrombie River National Park | NSW National Parks
- Silent Creek – Abercrombie River National Park. More information here Abercrombie River National Park | NSW National Parks
- The Beach – Abercrombie River National Park. More information here Abercrombie River National Park | NSW National Parks
- Bummaroo Ford – Abercrombie River National Park. More information here Abercrombie River National Park | NSW National Parks
- Private Town – Yerranderie Regional Park. More information here Yerranderie Regional Park | NSW National Parks
- Abercrombie Caves – Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve. More information here Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve | NSW National Parks
- The Junction (Abercrombie River). More information here Abercrombie River National Park | NSW National Parks
- Thompsons Creek Dam – Burraga. More details here Camping at Thompsons Creek Dam – NSW (findacamp.com.au)
Click here for a map of where some are.
Oberon Dump Point and Potable Water
Located at Corner of Lowes Mount Road and Albion Street, Oberon
Oberon Visitor Information Centre
Call into the Oberon Visitor Information Centre at 48 Ross St, Oberon NSW 2787 or call 02-6329-8210 for more information on these places and an up to date map.